Friday, December 19, 2008

Sunburnt and Thrilled

So, I'm back in Ushuaia safe and sound with a whole mit-full of stories and adventures.

Antarctica is a life changing place and I highly recommed the trip. We faced gales in the Drake Passage, saw huge glaciers calve, watched gentoo penguins steal pebbles from each other and had a juvenille minke whale play within feet of our zodiac - an incredibly rare occurance.

We spent days exploring the Antarctic peninsula and at night the young contingent would ambush the Expedition leader, build giant snowmen and playing raucous card games (read: drinking games) into the wee hours. We provided endless amusement to all the older folk on the ship :)

Today, I'm running around getting things ready for the trip to Santiago the day after tommorrow. But mostly, I'm looking for a good cup of coffee and discovering that when I sit down it still feels like I'm on a ship.

I will post stories and pictures later on today or tomorrow. I need some time to settle down, collect my thoughts and sort through the photos.


Hablamos pronto!

Ryan

PS: This was the ship I ended up on: http://www.polarstarexpeditions.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to stories and pics, Ryan. And checking air fares - Whitehorse-Santiago is on sale for $1350 with Air Canada for next November! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan
We are waiting impatiently for your pics and stories as they are always entertaining. Our family travel map is going to be getting crowded with us adding more countries to it. So now that your have visited all the continents, what will be your next dream. I can only wonder.
Lindsay has now been here for a week and is complaining about how hot she is. Go figure. We took pity on her and spent the day at the beach which was great. She will be posting pics soon. She even dragged me off to see some museums.
We leave Tuesday for a beach resort where we will spend the holidays. No Christmas tree for use this year. Hard to believe it is really Christmas when the temp is well over 40C each day and the aircon doesn't work well.
Take care and have a great time on your travels.
Mom